Zinaida Illevna Zatsepina was born in 1913 in Nova Kalitva in Voronezh Provence. In her early career, she worked as an artist-reparatory in a photo studio in Novo-Hopersk before attending Tambov Art Tekhnikum (College for Art Teachers) 1933-36, where she studied to become an art teacher. She went to Penza Art College from 1937-39 where her art teacher was the famous artist Goryushkin-Sorokapudov. Zatsepina studied and taught art in Penza until she was forced to evacuate during World War II and moved to Krasnodar and then later to Kiev. There she continued her studies at Kiev’s State University, where the most popular art studio at the time was located and run by famous artist Krichevski. She taught and studied under his guidance, finishing her diploma work (entitled Kindergarden) until she began exhibiting in 1948.
Zatsepina won popularity among a wide range of art lovers for her genre and landscape oils featuring women and children. Typically pictured in nature, at river’s edge, on a rocky seashore, or in the garden, her canvases are sometimes layered with thick paint that reflects light in true Russian Impressionist style. Her bright colors honestly portray the softer side of life in Ukraine. Children play on the Black Sea or read by the tumbling waves. This is the kind of warmth and compassion that continues to attract viewers long after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Zatsepina worked successfully as an independent artist with exhibitions worldwide. She participated in multiple Republic and Soviet Union exhibits with work in the Poltava and Mokolaev’s Art gallery, Penza art gallery, Kiev literature art museum of Taras Shevchenko, and also historical museums in Pereyaslav-Temelovitsky and Chernovtsy.
She received an award from the Komsomol Central Committee of the Communist party for participation in the Youth Komsomol Art Exhibit in 1968 for her work “The Two.” During her personal exhibit in honor of her 60th birthday, she presented over 200 pieces.